© Shipping Wonders of the World 2015  |  Site Map  |  Contact Us  |  info@shippingwondersoftheworld.com

Shipping Wonders of the World

Part 23


Part 23 of Shipping Wonders of the World was published on Tuesday 14th July 1936.


This issue included a colour plate illustrating Spritsail Barges on the River Thames by Charles Pears ROI which accompanied an article on Thames Sailing Barges. It was attached to page 732 of this issue.




The Cover


This week’s cover represents a scene on the deck of the North German Lloyd liner Bremen in mid-ocean. The Bremen temporarily regained the Blue Riband of the Atlantic for Germany in 1929. She is the sister ship of the Europa.


The Bremen also featured on the covers of

part 6, part 11, and part 20.

The deck of the "Bremen"


Contents of Part 23


Captain Slocum the Pioneer

Development of the Oil Tanker

Navy Week

Compound, Triple and Quadruple Expansion Engines

Canada’s Prairie Port

Thames Sailing Barges

Spritsail Barges on the River Thames (colour plate)

Raising the German Fleet



Captain Slocum the Pioneer


The story of the first man to sail single-handed round the world, concluded from part 22.

(Pages 709-710)


Slocum’s Famous Sloop

SLOCUM’S FAMOUS SLOOP, the Spray, from a beautiful painting by Maurice Randall. Slocum bought her as a hulk at Fairhaven (Mass.), And rebuilt her. She had an overall length of 36 ft 9 in, a beam of 14 ft 2 in, and a depth in the hold of 4 ft 2 in. It took Slocum thirteen months to rebuild her and the materials cost him £111. Then it took him from April 1895 to June 1898 to sail her single-handed 46,000 miles, round the world.

[Note: the original reproduction of this painting was printed in black and white. This colour version has been cropped to look like the original]

Development of the Oil Tanker


Oil and spirit in bulk form the most dangerous cargo that ships have ever carried. Many special construction al devices have been evolved to obviate, as far as possible, the risks entailed by this perilous cargo. One often hears sailing ship enthusiasts say that romance went from the sea with the passing of the sailing ship. But romance is an integral part of the sea, and one of the most romantic stories of modern shipping is that of the Oil Tanker. During the last twenty years or so there has been a great increase in the use of oil and these long, low ships bring it from distant countries to serve our everyday needs. Oil and its derivatives are used in our motor cars, our railway engines and our ships; they are used also for domestic purposes such as lighting and heating. Oil is now a commodity of international importance and will play a significant part in future history. There is in existence at present a vast fleet of oil tanker vessels, with a total gross tonnage of over 9,000,000. Before 1914, the total tonnage of oil tankers was rather less than 1,500,000. This chapter is by A C Hardy and is the third article in the series on the Romance of the Trade Routes.

(pages 711-714)

A Modern Tanker, the Anadara

A MODERN TANKER built for the Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co Ltd, the Anadara 8,009 tons gross, was built in 1935 by Harland and Wolff at Glasgow. She is 465 feet long, with a beam of 59 ft 5 in and a depth of 33 ft 10 in. Her eight-cylinder diesel engines of about 3,000 hp is placed well aft and her hull is built with longitudinal framing except at the extreme ends.

(page 711)





Navy Week


Every year since 1928 the Royal Navy has admitted the public into the dockyards at Portsmouth, Plymouth and Chatham during Navy Week. Thousands of people are this enabled to see the Navy at work. The institution of Navy Week has been instrumental in enabling us to widen our experience, and the great success of this annual event is a tribute to our ability to answer the call of the sea when the call is sounded. One of the many charms of Navy Week is its spontaneity. Although careful organization is necessary to its success, the general public sees nothing of what goes on behind the scenes - and an air of care-free informality prevails. The time of the Fleet is so taken up with routine work and exercises that there is not time in which to rehearse elaborate displays; yet the public responds with more than ordinary enthusiasm and every year Naval charities benefit, as indeed they should. The Navy Week Committee deserves all our congratulations for the work it does. This chapter is by Commander G A B Hillis.

(pages 715-718)


A Searchlight Display at Chatham

A SEARCHLIGHT DISPLAY in the naval dockyard at Chatham. There is nothing more impressive than the sight of warships silhouetted or illuminated by powerful searchlights. This occasion, in August 1935, was the first time that the public had been admitted to Chatham Dockyard after dark during Navy Week.

(page 717)





Compound, Triple and Quadruple Expansion Engines


The final form of the marine reciprocating engine was of the vertical type using steam in two, three or four stages of expansion. This chapter is by F E Dean and is the sixth article in the series Marine Engines and Their Story.

(pages 719-723)


Raising the German Fleet


When the Germans scuttled their interned warships at Scapa Flow, Orkney, in June 1919, most people thought that the ships had found their last resting-place. By a series of salvage miracles many of the seventy-two German vessels have now been raised. This chapter is by David Masters and I written from personal experience. The author visited the scene and went down with the salvors at Scapa. This is the eighth article in the series Dramas of Salvage. The article is concluded in part 24. This chapter complements that published in part 19 which told the story of the surrender and scuttling of the German High Seas Fleet.

(pages 737-740)


Spritsail Barges on the River Thames


SPRITSAIL BARGES on the River Thames at dusk, from the oil-painting by the famous marine artist Charles Pears ROI. The sails of these Thames barges are a rich warm red in colour, but the lighter sails are white. The hulls are flat-bottomed and the vessels can therefore penetrate shallow creeks and rivers. Thames sailing barges are ordinary workaday vessels but they are astonishingly seaworthy. They are among the most picturesque craft afloat and form a striking contrast to the power-driven vessels which are attempting to oust them from their trades.

 

(Attached to page 732)


Salving One of the Warships

AN EARLY METHOD of salving one of the warships. A local shipowner brought four or five sunken destroyers from the Admiralty and carried them ashore by using two old barges lashed together with baulks of timber. To obtain adequate lifting power, he employed great inflated camels made of canvas. One of these camels is seen on either side of the destroyer in the photograph.

(page 737)



Thames Sailing Barges


The strongly-built and picturesque barges which may be seen on the Rivers Medway and Thames are fine sea-boats and still retain many of the traditional features of the first craft of their type. Although the Thames barges are essentially English craft, they do not confine their activities to the Thames. Many of them sail as far afield as France and Holland. Some years ago tow of them were temporarily rigged as ketches and went out to South America. Frank Bowen knows the Thames barges and the men who man them as well as any one, and in this chapter he tells of the history of the barge, discusses its curious rig and describes the famous annual races on the Thames and Medway.

(pages 731-736)

Triple-Expansion Engine Fitted in HMS Duncan

TRIPLE-EXPANSION ENGINES were fitted in HMS Duncan, built in 1900. There were four cylinders in each set of her engines. The engines developed 18,000 horse-power at 120 revolutions a a minute and drove HMS Duncan by twin screws at a speed of 19 knots.

(page 722)




Canada’s Prairie Port


When the freighter Pennyworth sailed in 1932 to Churchill, Hudson Bay, she opened up a new commercial route to the prairie provinces of Canada. She was the first vessel to prove that the navigation of these subarctic waters was practicable for freighters. The exploration of Hudson Bay was begun in 1610 by Hudson, the gallant navigator who was set adrift in an open boat by his mutinous crew. His name lives on in the bay that he discovered. From then on the territory was recognized as being of great importance, but as the bay is ice-bound in winter it has not been used fro trading purposes until comparatively recently. On August 17, 1932, the

SS Pennyworth of Newcastle-on-Tyne, arrived at Churchill with a cargo and passengers - one of the first vessels to reach Canada by this route. D Wilson MacArthur travelled in the Pennyworth, and this writes of this modern romance from first-hand experience.

(pages 724-730)

The oil tanker "Anadara"A searchlight display at ChathamTrple-expansion engine fitted in HMS "Duncan"The harbour of Churchill in 1933


The Harbour of Churchill

THE HARBOUR OF CHURCHILL as it was in 1933, one year after the Pennyworth arrived there. The Rio Clara, a freighter of 4,086 tons gross, is seen in the background steaming up the sea channel into the harbour. In 1933 nine ships entered the harbour; in 1934 the number was thirteen.

(page 724)

The "Pennyworth"


The Pennyworth


THE FIRST FREIGHTER  TO ENTER Canada’s new port. This photograph shows the Pennyworth approaching the quay at Churchill on August 17, 1932. A vessel of 5,388 tons gross, the Pennyworth was built in 1916 as the Gogovale. She is 410 feet long and has a beam of 53 ft 6 in and a depth of 28 ft 5 in. She is now registered at Montreal.

 

(page 726)

Thames barges in the River Medway


In the River Medway

IN THE RIVER MEDWAY, at Rochester, a number of sailing barges may often be seen lying at their berths. The barge in the foreground of this photograph has a standing gaff on which the upper edge of the sail is extended. All the other barges have sprits, and their sails are brailed up to a point just under the masthead.

(page 724)

Spritsail barges on the River Thames by Charles PearsAn early method of salving one of the German warships