© Shipping Wonders of the World 2014  |  Site Map  |  Contact Us  |  info@shippingwondersoftheworld.com

Shipping Wonders of the World

Part 43


Part 43 of Shipping Wonders of the World was published on Tuesday 1st December 1936.


This issue included a colour plate illustrating a ship broached-to in heavy seas by Charles Pears. It formed part of an article on Handling the Sailing Ship. The plate was attached to page 1372 of part 43.




The Cover


This week’s cover shows the old German Dreadnought Kaiserin on her way to Rosyth for breaking up. The picture was taken from the Forth Bridge as she passed underneath it.


An article on the shipbreaking industry appeared in part 40, and one on raising the German Fleet in parts 23-24.

The "Kaiserin" on her way to Rosyth for breaking up


Contents of Part 43


Battle of Trafalgar

France’s Key to the Mediterranean

The British Admiralty

Building Marine Machinery

The South Sea Phosphate Carrier

Handling the Sailing Ship

Broached-To in Heavy Seas (colour plate)

Captain Fryatt and the Brussels



The British Admiralty


The organization of the Admiralty is in itself a marvel of modern efficiency, but the variety and importance of the work undertaken by this great Government Department are rarely appreciated by the civilian. Visitors from the Provinces, seeing London for the first time, are often shown the Admiralty, easily distinguishable from the surrounding buildings by reason of the aerials above its roof. These aerials form part of the Navy’s wireless system which transmits messages in code to His majesty’s ships in all parts of the world. F E Dean contributes a chapter on this important subject, which is one of vital interest and significance to all of us. He tells the history of the Admiralty, its present-day organization and the work that it did in the war of 1914-18.

(Pages 1359-1362)


Battle of Trafalgar


The story of the Battle of Trafalgar by Lieut Com. E Keble Chatterton, continued from

part 42. This is the fifth article in the series on Decisive Naval Actions.

(Pages 1349-1353)


The Battle of Trafalgar

BREAKING THROUGH THE ENEMY’S LINE. This vivid illustration shows Nelson’s flagship, HMS Victory, as she came up between the Bucentaure and the Redoubtable (left). Astern of the Redoubtable are HMS Temeraire and the French 74-guns ship Fougeux. To the right of the Bucentaure are the Santisima Trinidad and the French [sic] 80-guns ship Neptune.

(Page 1350)






France’s Key to the Mediterranean


Marseilles, the busy and cosmopolitan port which is now a centre of flourishing sea-borne trade, has been known as one of the world’s most famous harbours since the sixth century BC. Marseilles has its own distinct personality, a dramatic one. Perhaps the glamour of Marseilles is largely the product of the novelist - so many books tell of desperate deeds there. Dumas set the scene of his Monte Cristo largely in the Chateau d’If at the entrance to the port, and from Marseilles the doughty Tartarin set sail for Africa. But Marseilles is also one of the most famous ports in the world. It is said - with pardonable exaggeration - that every traveller passes through Marseilles at some time of his life. It is also the link that joins France to her vast possessions in North Africa and as such as a great political importance. This chapter is by

C. Hamilton Ellis who contributes a colourful description of one of the most fascinating and absorbing ports in Europe,if not in the world. This is the twelfth article in the series Great Ports of the World.

(Pages 1354-1358)


Building Marine Machinery


The engines that drive modern steamships or motorships must, despite their enormous size, be built with the accuracy and precision which characterize the most intricate and minute mechanisms. Recently we published a chapter on the engines of the Queen Mary. The engines that can create Atlantic records are wonderful, but no less wonderful are the things that happen to a piece of machinery before it is complete. Machinery is built in vast halls covering acres of ground, and all the resources of modern engineering are called into play. Red hot steel is fashioned into boiler bodies; turbine rotors are forged from solid steel. This chapter, by F E Dean, is a fascinating and informative account of building marine machinery.

(Pages 1363-1367)



Handling the Sailing Ship


The days of sail are numbered and comparatively few people now understand how a sailing ship was manoeuvred. This chapter, by Frank Bowen, gives an outline of all the major operations of seamanship and tells how these were carried out in various circumstances.

(Pages 1369-1378)


A Huge Diesel Engine Being Built

IN COURSE OF CONSTRUCTION in the works of the North Eastern Marine Engineering Co., Ltd, at Wallsend-on-Tyne, is a huge diesel engine. The great eight-throw crankshaft in the foreground is ready to take its place on the four-section bed-plate surmounted by the nine massive standards towering above the floor of the erecting shop.

(Page 1367)






The South Sea Phosphate Carrier


The Triaster, shown in the drawing below, is the second of two ships recently built in Great Britain for the British Phosphate Commissioners. The first vessel, the Triona, was built in 1931 with steam propulsion, a triple-expansion engine taking steam from three Scotch boilers 15 ft 6 in in diameter and 12 feet long, coal or oil-fired. There are several difference between the two ships in the arrangement of superstructure. The owners comprise representatives of the British, Australian and New Zealand Governments. The ships carry phosphates in bulk from Nauru Island and Ocean Island, in the Pacific, to Australian and New Zealand ports. The Triaster was  built in 1935. Special loading gear has been fitted on each of these islands, and it is for this reason that special mooring winches and mooring laying gear are incorporated in the design. The vessel has a cruiser type stern, and the tonnage opening is immediately forward of the poop. There are five cargo holds, three forward and two abaft the machinery space, and there is also one tier of ‘tween decks. On the port side is an engineers’ store and workshop. Four 5-ton derricks are arranged round the base of the mainmast, the winches for these being on contractor houses at the base of the mast. Propulsion is by a Kincaid Burmeister and Wain airless injection four-cylinder single-acting unit, rated for 3,600 bhp at 115 revolutions. The electric load of this vessel, including provision for winches and special mooring gear, is supplied by three generators, each of 120-kilowatts output, driven by Allan four-cycle single-acting airless-injection units. This the thirty-third article in the series on Merchant Ship Types.

(Page 1368)


Marseilles Cathedral

DOMINATING THE JOLIETTE BASIN is Marseilles Cathedral, the building of which was begun in 1852. The quays of the Joliette Basin have a total length of 8,143 feet. In the foreground is the Ville d’Ajaccio, a vessel of 2,444 tons gross, built in 1929. She has a length of 269 feet, a beam of 41 ft 1 in and a depth of 22 ft 8 in. This steamer belongs to the Compagnie Marseillaise de Navigation a Vapeur.

(Page 1355)



Captain Fryatt and the Brussels


One of the most tragic and yet heroic episodes of the war of 1914-18 was the fate of Captain Fryatt, master of the cross-channel packet Brussels. Having evaded as enemy submarine, Captain Fryatt was later captured and put to death. His ship was deliberately sunk but later slaved. This is one of the most gallant stories of the war. When captured by the enemy, Captain Fryatt, who had commanded a steamer belonging to the Great Eastern Railway Company, refused to disclose that he had been acting under Admiralty instructions, though a word would have saved his life. The story of the sinking and salvage of the Brussels is a romantic one, and is told here by David Masters, who made a journey to Belgium to obtain more information for this chapter. The article is concluded in part 44.

(Pages 1379-1380)



Main Yards Hauled “Aback”

THE MAIN YARDS ARE HAULED “ABACK” to take the way of a ship that she may be boarded by a pilot or for other purposes. The wind is about six points on the port bow and the main yards are being swung square on to it. The Hero, 1,709 tons gross, was built at Port Glasgow in 1873 as the MacCullum More. She had a length of 265 ft 4 in, a beam of 39 ft 6 in and a depth

of 23 ft 5 in.

(Page 1373)






Broached-to in Heavy Seas

BROACHED-TO IN HEAVY SEAS. This is one of the worst dangers that can ever threaten a sailing ship. In this painting by Charles Pears ROI the ship has been running heavily before the westerly gales in the Roaring Forties. She has broached-to and is in danger of being overwhelmed by the seas, which are now broadside on. The vessel lies helplessly in the trough of the seas. The squaresails are end-on to the wind and the rudder is useless because the ship has lost way. The fore-topmast staysail is the main hope of getting off before the wind again. The other sails will probably shake themselves to pieces before the yards can be braced up, even if the mast to not go overboard. This desperate situation has been the cause of many a well-found vessel having been posted as missing.

(Attached to page 1372)

The Battle of Trafalgar Marseilles Cathedral The Quai du Port Marseilles


The Quai du Port


THE QUAI DU PORT, or Harbour Quay, forms the northern boundary of that part of Marseilles Harbour known as Le Vieux Port, or the Old Harbour. This basin has a water area of 65 acres, a length of 2,920 feet and an average width of 1,049 feet. Across its entrance, which is 229 ft 6 in wide, is the transporter bridge. The total length of quays in the Old Harbour is 6,210 feet, and a multitude of craft, large and small, may always be seen there.

(Page 1354)

The Board Room of the Admiralty


The Board Room of the Admiralty

THE BOARD ROOM of the Admiralty, where many momentous decisions have been taken. From here orders vitally affecting the British Empire have been issued to be transmitted in code by wireless to the ships of the Royal Navy in all parts of the world. In the past, messages were conveyed to the fleets by courier. It was in this way that Nelson received his orders before the battle of Trafalgar in 1805. The  Board Room in the Old Admiralty, built about 1725, is said to incorporate part of an earlier building.

(Page 1362)

The Admiralty



The Admiralty - 2


THE UNIQUE CHIMNEY-PIECE in the Board Room of the Admiralty. The carving represents navigational instruments, weapons, fantastic figures, fish, fruit and flowers. The wind dial, which dates from the reign of Queen Anne (1702-1714), has a map in the centre.








THE ENTRANCE HALL of the Admiralty, which is situated underneath the portico. The walls are buff-coloured. The doors are of oak. The centre brass lamp is of early eighteenth-century workmanship and belonged to the old Navy Board. Bailey’s original model for the statue on Nelson’s Column in Trafalgar Square stands in an alcove on the left.


(Page 1360)

A huge diesel engine in course of constructionThe "Triaster"Main Yards Hauled “Aback”"Broached-to in heavy seas" by Charles PearsThe "Brussels"



The Brussels

A SYMBOL, OF HOPE. The Brussels, by maintaining her services between Harwich (Essex) and the Continent at the beginning of the war of 1914-18, encouraged many people to have confidence during the world catastrophe. Built at Dundee by Gourlay and Company in 1902, the Brussels was a twin-screw steamship of 1,380 tons gross. She had a length of 285 ft 4 in, a beam of 34 feet and a depth of 15 ft 7 in.

(Page 1379)